Near Tehseen’s Masjid, Akbari Gate, Chowk. Wajid Ali Shah was exiled to Calcutta in 1858 and Roshan Ali, who used to cook halva for the king could find no employment that suited him. His son, Rehmat Ali finally took up courage to start a halva shop in 1865 so that ordinary folk could also enjoy the delicacies. Gentlefolk who remained behind in Lucknow would drive up to this shop in closed carriages, ask their attendants to get halva from the shop and eat it inside the carriage, in privacy. Jauzihalva, Habshi halva, black carrot halva etc. were sold for ₹ 200 a seer. A kilo now costs ₹ 1200. Rehmat Ali’s son Mohammad Haroon took over the responsibility of running the establishment in the early years of the 20th century. His descendants Mohammad Aamir and Mohammad Saif run it today. Jauzi halvah is made chiefly with almonds. Saffron and many other condiments are added and the mix is cooked in pure ghee. Kohinoor halva is made from pine nuts. This was a favourite of Wajd Ali Shah. It is believed that these halvas are good for health, especially in the cold weather. Only four or five kinds of halva, mostly made with nuts and dry fruits are served here, and are highly appreciated.